Steps to Combat Loneliness This Winter
November 20, 2023 | Kathy Ingulsrud
As winter’s chill settles in, many of us find ourselves feeling a bit down. The winter blues, or seasonal affective disorder, is real and significantly impacts those living in colder climates. The colder, darker days can lead to feelings of loneliness and isolation, particularly for those who are older, retired or live alone.
However, there are proactive steps you can take to combat loneliness and maintain your well-being during the winter season. In this blog, we’ll explore practical strategies and ideas to keep loneliness at bay, helping you stay connected, engaged, and uplifted throughout the winter months.
Embrace Virtual Connections
- Utilize video calls to stay in touch with loved ones, even if you can’t be together in person.
- Join online communities or social groups that align with your interests and hobbies. There are many Facebook groups out there, from woodworking to walking and gardening to crafting.
Find out more: Virtual Family Activities To Stay Connected While Apart
Winter Outdoor Activities
- Bundle up and enjoy the winter scenery with activities like hiking or snowshoeing.
- Even getting outside to shovel the sidewalk or driveway can release endorphins from exercise, boosting your mood and mental perspective. Just be sure to take caution when moving about outdoors with ice and snow.
Related Read: How Seniors Can Stay Safe This Winter
- Get involved in a volunteer opportunity within your community. Many flexible options are available, allowing you to help as much or as little as you want. Helping others can be very rewarding and help alleviate feelings of loneliness.
Reach Out for Support
- If you are feeling lonely or just not yourself, don’t hesitate to seek professional help or counseling if loneliness becomes overwhelming.
- Sharing your feelings with a trusted friend or family member can make a significant difference. Remember, this is just a phase of life, and you don’t need to go through it alone.
This winter, don’t let loneliness cast a shadow over your mental health and well-being. By engaging in these activities or others of your choosing, you can embrace the season with connection and positivity.
Choosing a Medicare plan can be difficult. Twin City Underwriters helps Medicare recipients in Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Florida find the Medicare plan that meets their unique needs. Schedule a one-on-one meeting with one of our Medicare insurance brokers to get your questions answered!
Do you need help with Medicare, insurance and health plans? Explore your options with Allina Health Aetna, BlueCross BlueShield of Minnesota, Medica, UCare, United HealthCare and more. We work with you to find the best plan for your needs and budget. Contact us today to get started.