The health of your mouth, teeth and gums can greatly affect your overall health and wellbeing. Therefore, maintaining oral and dental health is increasingly important. For seniors, having affordable dental coverage is vital.
There are many options for dental insurance coverage when you are on Medicare. Which option is right for you will depend on several factors. Our team of agents will review your options and help you determine what best suits your cost and coverage needs.
Dental Coverage Options
Some of the dental coverage options available include:
- Standalone dental plan through a dental insurance company
- Dental benefits with a Medicare Advantage Plan (MAPD)
- Benefits vary greatly from plan to plan. Some may offer only preventative care, while others provide more comprehensive benefits or simply an annual dental allowance.
- In-house dental program through a dental clinic
- This is a program provided by a dental office, that will that will cover cleanings, exams, and comprehensive coverage at a set amount.
- Dental discount plan
- This is not an insurance plan, but a type of membership that provides discounts on certain dental services.
- Some seniors choose to pay cash for dental procedures. While this can be a more unpredictable option, dental offices may offer a discount when paying in cash. Check with your clinic before foregoing insurance for this option.
What to Consider When Purchasing Dental Coverage
- What is the premium of the plan?
- Does the plan have waiting periods?
- Does the plan cover a periodontal cleaning?
- How much coverage is provided for restorative work, such as crowns and implants?
- Is your current dentist in the dental network covered by the plan?
It is also important to keep in mind that most dental insurance plans exclude coverage for cosmetic work, dentures and pre-existing conditions, such as a previously missing tooth.
There are many types of dental coverage options available, with each offering varying coverage. Having a plan in place for basic services such as cleanings and exams, as well as more extensive services such as fillings and crowns, will provide you with peace of mind if and when these events occur.
Some of the insurance carriers represented by Twin City Underwriters are Delta Dental, Allina Health Aetna, Health Partners, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Humana, Medica, Medico, UCare and United Healthcare.
Are you unsure of which dental benefit option is right for you? Contact Twin City Underwriters and talk to an experienced agent today.